Job Description: Discovery Station’s Art Room Intern (Unpaid)
Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc. is a hands-on museum that provides life-long learning experiences to thousands of children and families each year. We create an environment that stimulates curiosity for discovery, exploration, and further investigation through exhibits and programs that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) principles.
Discovery Station currently offers multiple internship positions for students or art education majors to work within our STEAM Machine Art Exhibit. This exhibit is completely hands-on where children can paint, color on the walls, do arts and crafts and is where many of our art programs occur.
- Develop and lead hands-on art programs for children in early childhood through primary school.
- Optimize exhibit areas and programs to best suit the needs of our visitors.
- Assist visitors with the distribution of art supplies.
- Supervise the different areas of the art room to ensure the cleanliness of the exhibit and to ensure that the visitors enjoy the exhibit space.
- Provide feedback on developing the exhibit features further.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Able to work part-time or full time including some weekends.
- Able to work in loud, sometimes hectic environments with children of all ages.
- Has experience in doing art programs with children or a willingness to learn how to do so.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
Walking, standing and sitting for long periods of time. Lifting up to 20 lbs. Reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary. Must adhere to all of the museum’s COVID policies.
Interested parties should submit a resume and two references to Jess@discoverystation.org. Please indicate in the SUBJECT LINE which internship you are applying to.