This is a fun, fall-themed activity for the little ones in your life! They’ll be making their very own scarecrow! Skills they’ll develop:
- fine motor skills
- identifying shapes and colors
- building vocabulary
Sometimes, when we are having fun, we don’t recognize all of the skills we are practicing! You and your child will be reading, following directions, estimating, using their fine motor skills, problem-solving, and working together! Isn’t that awesome?
- How many pieces of paper will you use to stuff your scarecrow?
- How tall do you think your scarecrow will be?
- How long do you think it will take you to build your scarecrow?
- How much will your scarecrow weigh?
- What will you name your scarecrow?
- Where will your scarecrow be placed?
- Child-size long-sleeved shirt and pair of pants
- Safety pins
- Halloween trick-or-treat bucket (for scarecrow head)
Directions for Making Your Scarecrow
- Tie a string around the cuff of each sleeve.
- Stuff the sleeves with crumpled newspaper.
- The trashbag is the chest. Fill it with crumpled newspaper.
- Put the stuffed trashbag inside the shirt.
- Tie a string around the bottom of the pants legs and fill with newspaper.
- Pin the bottom of the shirt to the top of the pants.
- Place the pumpkin head trick-or-treat bucket on the collar and you have a scarecrow.