Join our friend Lydia Sohn, a Discovery Station Ambassador and Miss Western Maryland 2020, for her latest lyDIYa #STEAM activity! Discover how mixing vinegar and baking soda creates a chemical reaction! Watch bubbles of carbon dioxide form and feel the fizz!
- 1 Cup of Baking Soda
- 1-2 TBSP of Water
- Heart-Shape Molds
- Bin or a Plate
- Droppers or Spoons
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Mix the baking soda, water, and food coloring.
- Fill the heart-shaped mold with the mixture. Make sure to hide the gem inside!
- Freeze! This step is optional but I found it really helps to hold the mixture together!
- Remove the hearts from the mold and place them on a plate (or in the bin).
- Use droppers or spoons to drop vinegar onto the heart. Watch the chemical reaction right before your eyes!
*Instead of gems, you can use bannagram or scrabble tiles to spell out a fun message to decode!*