Adult Supervision Required! Small parts may be a choking hazard!
This activity is great for a rainy day! They will also be developing important skills like:
- making observations and predictions (do all of the objects in the bottle stick to the magnet? Why do you think only some of them do?)
- building vocabulary (magnet, metal, attraction)
- Magnetic wand
- Metal objects (Washers, paper clips, sensory clips)
- Sensory chips
- Plastic bottle
- Put the metal objects and the sensory chips into the plastic bottle.
- Pour water into the bottle (should fill the bottle about 2/3 of the way to the top).
- Screw the lid back onto the plastic bottle.
- Place the large magnet onto the outside of the bottle. Which objects are attracted to the magnet?
Learn more about magnets with SciShow Kids!
Books about magnets:
A Look at Magnets by Barbara Alpert
Magnet Max by Monica Lozano Hughes
Magnets Push, Magnets Pull by Mark Weakland
The Magic School Bus – Amazing Magnetism by Rebecca Carmi
The Magnetic Dog by Bruce Whatley