Volunteer at Discovery Station
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to volunteer at Discovery Station! If you love to interact with children of all ages and to inspire them through STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math) initiatives — you should consider becoming a member of the Discovery Station Volunteer Team! Volunteers help in every area of the museum! We have open volunteer positions for exhibit docents, admission’s office clerks, gift shop salespersons, creative development members to work on marketing and exhibit creation, program leaders, designing and assembling lesson plans for visiting schools and more! In exchange for our volunteer’s valuable contribution of time, we offer an opportunity to help provide life-long learning experiences to thousands of children and families each year.
Discovery Station’s volunteer needs change depending on current programs, special events, projects and time of year. Please submit an application below and list at least two areas of interest. We will do our best to find a position that is right for you but we can only offer volunteer assignments that are currently open.
Benefits of Volunteering at Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc.
- All active volunteers receive a free annual membership to Discovery Station that is reciprocated at 380+ other Science Centers and Science Museums.
- 10% off Treasure Gift Shop Purchases
- 10% off Birthday Party Rentals
Skills required for all volunteer positions:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Patience working with school-aged children
- The ability to work in a loud, fast-moving environment at times
- Ability to follow instructions and direction
Please call 301-790-0076 to offer your individual skill and interest.
By submitting this application, you agree that you have read and understood the Discovery Station Code of Conduct Policy (see below), and understand that failure to comply to the Discovery Station Code of Conduct can result in your termination as a volunteer from the museum.
Discovery Station is a youth-serving, community-based organization dedicated to providing hands-on learning experiences. Participation in the organization’s programs is subject to the observance of the organization’s rules and procedures. The activities outlined below are strictly prohibited. Any participant or staff member who violates this Code is subject to discipline, up to and including removal from the program.
- Abusive language towards a staff member, volunteer or visitor.
- Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs on Discovery Station’s property or reporting to the program while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Bringing onto Discovery Station’s property dangerous or unauthorized materials such as explosives, firearms, weapons or other similar items.
- Discourtesy or rudeness to a visitor, staff member or volunteer.
- Verbal, physical or visual harassment of a visitor, staff member or volunteer.
- Actual or threatened violence toward any individual or group.
- Conduct endangering the life, safety, health or well-being of others.
- Failure to follow any agency policy or procedure.
- Bullying or taking unfair advantage of any participant.
- Failing to cooperate with an adult supervisor/leader/mentor.
Contact us to have a Volunteer Application faxed, e-mailed or sent to you or your organization. Or fill out the following form: