Job Title: Visitor Services Attendant
Hours: Wednesday - Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sundays 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc. is looking for a responsible and energetic individual to be our part-time Visitor Services Attendant. The individual assists in the operation of the museum with a special focus on museum procedures and visitor interactions. The VSA will work in conjunction with the Operations Manager and Executive Director to further the mission of Discovery Station. They will assist in the supervision of volunteer staff, oversee the front entry, work with data collection, and other roles as assigned.
Although no employees will directly report to this position, the VSA must maintain a working knowledge of museum operations and staff policies. This individual works with the Operations Manager, Executive Director, and volunteer staff to create an ideal environment so that children and families can learn, interact and enjoy a safe and fun museum experience.
This is a temporary part-time, 28-hour per week position at $11.75 an hour. Applicants must be able to work a flexible schedule, including Wednesdays through Sundays through to December 31, 2021. Non-operating hours may be necessary to meet hourly requirements. This position does not include benefits.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
Front Desk Management Duties
- Greeting and checking in guests to the museum
- Accepting payments for admissions and gift shop
- Processing memberships
- Answering phones
- Answering questions from museum guests
- Screening calls and visitors for management
- General customer service
- Maintaining the cleanliness and appearance of the front desk
- Ensuring a balanced cash drawer and change box
- Staying current and informing guests of upcoming events and programs
- Taking messages
- Resetting exhibits and supporting programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Resetting and cleaning exhibits as needed
- Restocking supplies for exhibits as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
• Must be able to work independently.
• High School Diploma Required.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
• Previous experience working with children and/or in an education setting a plus.
• Special consideration will be given to people with management and/or supervisory experience.
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills are strongly encouraged.
• Must be able to work in a loud, chaotic environment with large numbers of children.
Must pass a background check.
Walking, standing, and sitting for long periods of time. Lifting up to 20 lbs. Reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary.
The Visitor Services Attendant will perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Discovery Station reserves the right to modify this job description at any time based on business necessity.
Discovery Station is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are interested and feel you are qualified for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and references to Brittany@discoverystation.org. We will be accepting applicants through August 20th or until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.